Friday, August 16, 2013

Kuwait Through the Eyes of a Newcomer

Helloooo Out There!!
So, my compadres and I have made it safely to Kuwait! (Can we get a rounda'plawse!?!) :) Well, actually, we have been here for 3 days and in that short time I have managed to catch a stomach virus. We will talk about That a little later... But anywho... In the short time I've been here, Ive managed to see, experience, and "observe" quite a few interesting things! Here is a short list of what I can think of at the moment:

* It is acceptable to back up at a high rate of speed in the middle of oncoming traffic!
* A group of ladies walking = EVERY taxi in smelling distance honking at you and driving up onto the sidewalk (where you are walking) to give you a ride!
* Smiling and making eye contact means I want you. Literally. Yeah, I gotta work on that one... Y'all know I'm a smiler and a hugger! (Note to self... mean mug strangers.)
* I can become a legal Kuwaiti citizen in 5 years if I know (well... marry) the right person... As in a Kuwaiti citizen, but it is impossible for a foreign man to become a Kuwaiti citizen.
* With that being said, Kuwaiti citizens get money from the government for EVERYTHING. Minimum wage for a Kuwaiti citizen is around $50K USD... and they get it just for being alive. Ummm USA, y'all slipping!
* Apparently the hot water is cold water and the cold water is hot water in the summer because the cold water tanks are on the roof... where its 119°, well, at least that's what we were told... I had to search for a few hours for my hot water switch to turn it on. Yeah, I just turned on every switch in the house and prayed it was one of those... it was. No more "warm" showers for me.
* There are no electrical outlets in the bathrooms... or behind my dresser. Blow drying and flat ironing are going to be QUITE interesting!
* I often have to open the patio door to "let the cold air out"... Can you say AC on steroids!!
* The women here really DO remind you of the ones from Sex in the City II in Abu Dhabi! They are decked out in their full abayas and burqas, along with Chanel, Gucci, Prada, Fendi and Burberry bags and shoes! They are so FLY!
* You can buy anything under the sun at the souk! Even Easter baskets!!
* There is NO crime in Kuwait because it is punished by death! So the justice system is used for divorce and disputes.
* A suitable breakfast consists of baked beans and some porridge that looks like oatmeal but tastes like some kind of mashed kidney bean/meat combination.
* I live on a construction site. LITERALLY. Any window I look out I see construction and dust.
* I miss grass.
* I am happy I brought a 5lb. bag of grits!
* Of allll the American channels under the sun, I have CNN, Bloomberg, and MTV. Yes, MTV.
* To cross the street you have to play Frogger! They don't slow down, even IF you are in a crosswalk!
* I might be getting a kitten! 

I can definitely think of a few more, but I will save them for next time! Tomorrow we are going to Carrefour (which is supposed to be like Super Walmart on steroids!) That should be fun! Let's pray my stomach holds it together for that trip... because I need more than eggs bread, orange juice, and water in my house. Well my fine friends, I must bid you adieu, and I will be back with more interesting facts about living in Kuwait and pictures, Insha'allah! (Something else I learned!)

Until Next Time,
Love, Peace, and Souuuul

4 comments:

  1. That is a really a wonderful summary of your first few days! Feel better in the morning! I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really a wonderful summary of your first few days! Feel better in the morning! I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have had some truly interesting experiences so far. I really enjoyed reading about your initial observations. I'm glad you found the hot water, that you brought your own grits, and that your AC is working in overdrive. Your writing us very honest and respectful. I'm itching with anticipation to read more about your journey, so please continue to share! Great work, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're blogging about this! Can't wait to read more! Take care!

    ReplyDelete